Important COVID-19 Updates and Reminders
November 13, 2020
Dear Campus Community,
Today, we were informed that one student from the men’s basketball team and one student from the women’s basketball team have tested positive for COVID-19. Those students are currently in isolation. In addition and as a result of the Rhode Island Department of Health’s contact tracing protocol, both teams and two other students have been placed in quarantine out of an abundance of caution. The students are being provided with all appropriate services and all team activity has been suspended until cleared to return.
Should a faculty or staff member learn of a student with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19, that student should be informed NOT to come to campus unless or until cleared through RIC’s Health Services. It is requested that you:
- Ask the student to remain off campus.
- Ask the student to contact Health Services.
Complete this form so that Health Services may be notified and follow up, as appropriate, with the student.
Stay well. Stay informed.
Let me reiterate a number of mitigating activities each of us can take to minimize community transmission of COVID-19 and to promote a healthy campus environment:
- Create habits and reminders to avoid touching your face and cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or a tissue when you cough or sneeze (and immediately dispose of the tissue).
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds, and if soap and water are not available use 60-95% alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched, such as doorknobs, tables, desks and handrails.
- Wear cloth face coverings when out in public.
- Limit food sharing.
- Stop handshaking and use other non-contact methods of greeting.
- Limit interactions with people you don’t live with; wear a mask when interacting with people you don’t live with.
- Keep a daily journal of all the people you interact with each day. This is an important part of contact tracing.
- Maintain distance (approximately six feet or two meters).
- Increase ventilation by opening windows or adjusting air conditioning.
- Use teleconferencing and videoconferencing for meetings when possible. If not, hold meetings in open, well-ventilated spaces.
- Stay home from work and school when you feel sick.
Please contact the Rhode Island Department of Health to learn more about COVID-19.
For COVID-19 related questions: COVID19Support@ric.edu
General questions related to reopening (non-COVID-19): email@example.com
General information on reopening and COVID-19 updates: www.ric.edu/COVID19
Thank you for your cooperation in following our established health and safety protocols.
Together We Are #AnchorStrong!
Yours in education,
Frank D. Sánchez