Alumni Mentoring Program
Rhode Island College is pleased to introduce the Career Empowerment Opportunity (CEO) program, an alumni-driven mentorship program that prepares Rhode Island College students for career success. CEO connects students with RIC alumni who are leaders in their fields and offers personal and professional development opportunities that prepare students to be career ready on “day one.”
Through one-on-one mentor meetings, facilitated sessions, and networking lunches, RIC alumni share their experience, networks, and job opportunities with students in order to help students plan their career path.
The benefits are priceless. Students gain access to a regional and national network of industry leaders and a mentor within their job field, while developing increased job and social skills that are essential for professional growth.
The program is offered on an annual basis. The newest cohort launches in February 2021 and runs through February 2022.
The CEO program is open to current juniors (between 60 and 89 completed credits) and/or those students who anticipate graduating three semesters after the program begins. A minimum GPA of 2.5 is required at the time of application and should be maintained throughout the program.
The CEO program has four key components:
- RIC alumni mentors are paired with students in their field of interest. These relationships are expected to include one-on-one monthly meetings in person and/or by Skype/phone.
- Monthly workshop sessions held on Fridays from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. Lunch will be included, and there will be guest speakers presenting on topics like goal-setting, conflict resolution, financial literacy, personal branding, and more.
- Six site-based networking lunches on Friday afternoons, called “Lunch N’ Learns” hosted by high-level RIC alumni mentors at their places of work all across RI where students will learn about careers and get an inside look at these organizations.
- Staff and mentors will offer support in finding a summer internship for interested students.
February 19: Kick-off event; pairing of mentors with students
CEO Session Dates: March 5, April 2, May 14
Lunch N’ Learns: March 26, April 30
Optional Internship: May – August
Mentor & Mentee Gathering: May 28
CEO Session Dates: June 11, July 9, August 6
Mentor & Mentee Trivia Night: August 27
CEO Session Dates: September 10, October 15, November 5, December 3
Lunch N’ Learns: September 24, November 19, December 17
Program Session: January 7
Lunch n’ Learn: January 21
Final Celebration: February 4
The program sessions will cover the following topics:
- TypeFocus Career and Personality Assessment
- Developing Your Emotional Intelligence
- Communication Skills
- Time Management
- The CliftonStrengths Assessment: How You Are Uniquely Powerful
- Interview Skills
- Personal Branding
- Social Media Professionalism
- Professional Etiquette
- Strategic Thinking
- Creative Problem-Solving
- Servant Leadership
- Community Advocacy
- Financial Literacy
- Public Speaking on the Job
Program materials are provided for every session. Materials include:
- Business Cards