Become Part of the Upward Bound Legacy
General information sessions are scheduled in each target high school at the start of the annual recruiting drive in the fall. Interested students should attend to learn more about the Upward Bound Program.
You may also obtain an application from the guidance staff in the target high schools or you may call the Upward Bound office. There are two parts to the application (student and parent), along with supporting documentation that must be submitted by the deadline. A checklist will be provided to assist students and families through the entire application process.
The program now has the financial support to enroll 150 participants each year. Once accepted, students who meet all program responsibilities are continued in Upward Bound throughout high school. Therefore, admission to Upward Bound is limited and competitive. Each year, approximately seventy students are admitted.
Upward Bound Program Brochure
Click here to download Upward Bound brochure.
To be considered for Upward Bound, an applicant must be:
- A citizen of the United States or a permanent resident
- An individual neither of whose parents (natural or adoptive) do not have a four-year college degree and/or
- From a family that meets low-income requirements set by the federal government
- In the ninth, tenth or eleventh grade at one of the following target high schools
Target High Schools
|In Central Falls:
||Central Falls High School
|In East Providence:
||East Providence High School
||Shea High School
||Central High School
Hope High School
Mount Pleasant High School
- In need of Upward Bound's services to achieve academic success in high school and meet the requirements of the Rhode Island high school diploma system
- Interested in enrolling in a college or university upon graduating from high school
- Not older than nineteen at the time of selection for the program