Skip Repetitive Navigation Links

FAQs and RIC Requirements

Studying Abroad at Rhode Island College

Answers to Some Frequently Asked Questions

  • RIC college students may study abroad with a large number of programs, most of which are not run directly through the college.
  • Students may study abroad as early as their sophomore year, although junior year is traditionally the time to go abroad. In order to study abroad, students should be prepared to handle the challenge of living in a different culture as well as successfully completing college-level coursework.
  • Students do NOT pay RIC tuition while abroad. Individual students are responsible for paying all expenses while studying abroad, including the tuition of the particular program or foreign institution and all travel expenses.
  • Financial aid may be used to study abroad.
  • While abroad students are still considered to be enrolled full-time at RIC.
  • Courses taken abroad will transfer with credit, as long as a final grade of C or better is received in each course. Letter grades do not transfer for courses taken abroad nor do they affect the student’s GPA at RIC.
  • Students may study abroad for a semester, year, or summer or during the short January term.
  • Students studying abroad for a full semester, must take a minimum of 12 credits.
  • Most study abroad programs, even in non-English-speaking countries, offer courses in English. It is not necessary to study a foreign language while abroad, although it is beneficial to do so.
  • The choice of program and country depends upon the interests of the individual student. Nevertheless, students may not study in countries listed on the U.S. State Department’s current travel warnings list. See Outside Link
  • The purpose of the Study Abroad Office is to provide guidance about the study aboard process, to help students with their applications, and to facilitate transfer of credits.

Minimum requirements to study abroad as a student at RI College

You must

  • be 18 years of age,
  • be currently enrolled at RI College,
  • have completed 3 semesters at the college (or one semester for transfer students),
  • have a GPA of 2.5 or above,
  • be in good standing at the college, and
  • have sense of curiosity and adventure.

For confirmation of being in “good standing” at the college, proof of an acceptable academic and disciplinary record must be obtained from the Interim Associate Dean of Student Life, Marissa Weiss at Please email Dr. Weiss and give her permission to look at your record and ask her​ to send the results in an email to Dr. Chanfrau.

Major Steps in the Process

  1. Make an appointment to meet with a study abroad advisor at
  2. Explore the RI College study abroad web pages before your appointment to learn the basics about study abroad and to begin searching for a program that interests you.
  3. 3. After discussing your interests and options with an advisor in the Study Abroad Office, you should choose a program that meets your interests, course needs, and your budget. This may require additional research into the many options available. As you compare programs some of the factors you should consider are: cost (what exactly is included in the tuition?), location, course offerings, type of housing available, and special excursions (included in tuition or at additional cost?).
  4. Make a tentative budget so you know how much money you will need. Contact the advisor of your chosen program provider to ask specific questions and to get a summary of costs for that particular location and program. Adobe PDFDownload budget worksheet.
  5. If you receive financial aid, visit Nancy Bessette in the Office of Student Financial to see how much aid you can count on while abroad. A consortium agreement must be completed by the host institution Adobe PDF/financialaid/documents/consortiumagreement.pdf in order for RI College to release your financial aid money directly to you.
  6. Meet with your departmental academic advisor to see which courses are appropriate for your major.
  7. Apply to the specific program that best fits your interests and academic needs. Most applications may be submitted online or by mail and require the following:
    • Completed application form
    • Academic reference, which is a letter of recommendation from a professor with whom you have taken a course.
    • Personal statement about why you want to study abroad, etc. Contact the RIC Career Development Center or the RIC Writing Center for help with this essay.
    • Official transcript from the college, which you can order from the Records Office through RIConnect.
    • Confirmation of being in “good standing” at the college. Proof of an acceptable academic and disciplinary record must be obtained from the Interim Associate Dean of Student Life, Marissa Weiss at
  8. Apply for all the scholarships that you can find! The Study Abroad Office has compiled a list of links to scholarship opportunities. Consider applying to the Shinn Fund if you are 1 year in advance of your start date. Affiliate grants will automatically be applied to the program tuition.
  9. Have Authorization of Credit forms (Click here for document) signed by individual department chairs. Print out the online description for each course from the program provider’s or university’s website and attach it to each Authorization of Credit form that you give to a department chair; this is important so that the chair can properly evaluate the content of the course. Do NOT let department chairs send the original forms to the Records Office; you must bring the signed, original forms back to the Study Abroad Office.
  10. Final Step
    The letter of approval from Dr. Chanfrau to the Records Office and to Financial Aid is the last step in the process. This letter will be sent AFTER you have been accepted by a program and AFTER you have given the Study Abroad Office the signed, ORIGINALS of the Authorization of Credit forms for all of the courses (including alternate courses, if required) that you intend to take abroad.​​​​​​​​​​​

Page last updated: April 02, 2019