Skip Repetitive Navigation Links
NOTICE: You have reached a deprecated website.
You can access the new official Rhode Island College website at https://www.ric.edu.
Program / Learning Goals
Geography Major Program Goals
- To become adept at understanding and expressing the definitions of geography
- To obtain a basic knowledge of the history of geography as a discipline
- To become familiar with the literature and other written/mapped means by which
professional geographers communicate the results of their work
- To understand the steps involved in conducting basic/applied research in geography
- To demonstrate awareness of career opportunities available to geography majors
Political Science Program Goals
GOAL AREA A: Substantive Knowledge
- Objective 1. Students will acquire substantial knowledge of current political and
governmental structures and processes in the United States;
- Objective 2. Students will acquire an understanding of current political and
governmental structures and processes outside the United States;
- Objective 3. Students will acquire an understanding of influential thinkers and ideas
that have shaped democratic values.
GOAL AREA B: Critical Skills: Analytical Skills
- Objective 4. Students will be able understand the difference between descriptive and
normative theory as it applies to politics and government
- Objective 5. Students will be able to recognize and assess evidence that supports or
GOAL AREA C: Critical Skills: Information Acquisition
- Objective 6. Students will demonstrate a proficiency in the use technological
resources such as the Internet, on-line data, and library based search engines.
GOAL AREA D: Critical Skills: Written Presentation of Ideas
- Objective 7. Students will develop skills to write papers with a clear thesis,
organization and no distracting grammatical errors.
GOAL AREA E: Student Opportunities
- Objective 8. Students will have the opportunity to apply what they have learned in
class through active participation in politics and government through internships or
other experiential settings.
GOAL AREA F: Faculty-Student Advising
- Objective 9. Students will choose a coherent set of courses within the major under the
guidance of an advisor
- Objective 10. Students will receive active guidance in selection of post-baccalaureate
opportunities including graduate schools, law schools, a range of governmental
services and other employment