Bachelor of Science in Physical Education
The Rhode Island College Physical Education Teacher Preparation program provides high-quality learning experiences from a nationally accredited institution. The Department of Health and Physical Education (HPE) offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Education along with the option of a coaching minor. The department also provides students the opportunity to earn all courses and competencies towards a Certification in Adapted Physical Education in the State of Rhode Island.
Best practices, scientifically based approaches, experiential learning, and community engagement are integrated in all courses and programs of study. A graduate of this program will be able to:
- Teach diverse students
- Plan, implement and assess skills-based physical education
- Collaborate with professionals in the field to experience best practice
- Advocate for physical education
- Reflect on lessons and learn strategies to make teaching better
- Be a leader in the field of physical education
The Health and Physical Education Department at Rhode Island College also offers two non-teacher certification options for individuals interested in wellness and fitness but who will seek employment outside of the K-12 school setting. For more information on our Bachelor of Science degree in Community Health and Wellness, with a concentration in either Wellness and Movement Studies or Recreation and Leisure Studies please click here to bring you to the appropriate website.
- Consult the Feinstein School of Education website for general requirements.
- Program specific requirements are HPE 140 with a minimum grade of B- and HPE 243 with a minimum grade of B-.
- A minimum overall grade point average of 2.75 each semester.
- A minimum grade of B- in HPE 413 and 414; and a recommendation to continue from the instructors of each course.
- There is a minimum grade requirement for all other required, professional and cognate courses. Please check with your advisor for more information.
- Completion of the Professional Service Retention Requirement prior to enrolling in HPE 425.
Click here for course details.
Specialization in Adapted Physical Education
Students who anticipate working with special populations must meet the following additional requirements in order to qualify to take the Specialization in Adapted Physical Education Course:
- Maintain a minimum grade of B in each of the following courses: HPE 409, 413, 414, 415; and SPED 433.
- A minimum of three full weeks of documented hands on experience with K–12 schoolchildren in an adapted physical education setting under the supervision of a certified Adapted Physical Educator in the state of RI. Speciἀc requirements to earn an adapted Physical Education Certificate in the state of RI are met during this course.