Skip Repetitive Navigation Links

NOTICE: You have reached a deprecated website. 
You can access the new official Rhode Island College website at


Sexual Assault


Outside LinkView resources available through the James P. Adams library.

If you are a survivor of sexual assault or any sexualized violence, you may have many feelings and experiences, including

  • Numbness and/or shock
  • Helplessness
  • Fear and/or anxiety
  • Guilt, self-blame, and/or shame
  • Difficulty sleeping or eating
  • Academic difficulty and/or difficulty with attention and focus
  • Use of substances to manage painful feelings

Reactions may occur at different times after an assault—days, weeks, or months later. Counseling or emotional support can help you address these needs at any time. 1

If you need help right away, contact the 24-hour helpline offered through Day One’s Sexual Assault and Trauma Center at 1-800-494-8100. Advocates provide confidential support, information, and advocacy over the phone and in-person support at local hospitals and/or police stations for victims of sexual assault, sexual exploitation, domestic violence and hate crimes. RIC’s Counseling Center offers free, confidential support during business hours Monday-Friday. To make an appointment, contact 401-456-8094.

For your own safety and health, consider seeking immediate medical attention at the nearest hospital following sexual assault or rape. It is important to treat or prevent sexually transmitted infections (STI’s), prevent pregnancy and collect evidence should you decide to take legal action in the future. Women & Infants Hospital can be most helpful to women; Rhode Island Hospital also offers an emergency response for men and women. RIC Campus Police can arrange for transport from campus to the nearest medical facility. Call 401-456-8201, but be aware that doing so initiates a report of the event.

You also can obtain medical attention from RIC Health Services, which can provide testing and treatment for STI’s and advice about pregnancy prevention.  However, the staff cannot collect evidence to be used to press charges or perform time-sensitive screening for date rape drugs. 

Campus Police can help provide student safety and assist in filing an order of protection. They also must file a report that includes the names of the survivor and the alleged perpetrator. Contact them at 401-456-8201 only if you are ready to report sexual assault or sexual violence that occurred on campus. If you want to report an event that took place off campus, please call your local police department, as local police have jurisdiction.

Page last updated: January 25, 2016