Skip Repetitive Navigation Links

Careers in Communication

What Can You Do With a Communication Degree?

Public Relations / Advertising *

Publicity manager Advertising manager Marketing specialist Press agent Lobbyist
Corporate public affair specialist Development officer Fund raising specialist Sales manager Media analyst
Media planner Audience analyst News writer Public opinion researcher Copy writer
Media buyer Advertising specialist Account executive Creative director Community relation specialist

* New Program

Media Communication

Station general manager Program director Community relation director Video and film editor Reporter
Sales associate/manager Web designer Audience research associate Media buyer Market researcher
Announcer Anchors Disc jockey Casting director Producer
Talk show host Script writer/Copy writer Media educator News Director Corporate media

Public and Professional

Personal manager Communication trainer Director of corporate communication Labor relations representative Human resource manager
Mediator/negotiator School information specialist Development officer Educational fund raiser Alumni officer
Admission officer College recruiter Speech writer Public information officer Campaign director
Lobbyist Press secretary Elected official Legislative assistant Program coordinator

Speech-Language Pathologist:(Requires master's degree in speech pathology) These professionals do everything from recognizing communication disorders to creating effective treatment plans. They also act as advisors for the teachers and families of the patients, to help them adjust to the presence of the communication disorder. These pathologists also engage in research projects to develop new ways of recognizing or treating disorders.

Audiologists:(Requires master's degree in audiology) An audiologist works with people who have hearing difficulties, often selecting and fitting them with hearing aids. They also try to find ways to help those with hearing impairments rehabilitate, as well as recommending ways to prevent further hearing loss.

Speech-Language Educator:(Requires master's degree in either audiology or pathology) Working as teachers at all levels, speech-language educators seek to promote understanding about communication disorders. They teach how to recognize, diagnose, and treat specific disorders, as well as rehabilitation techniques and research techniques.

Clinical Supervisor or associate in hospital or private practices:(May not require master's degree)These professionals act as the organizers and managers of various types of clinics to keep them running effectively. They are in charge of hiring competent pathologists as well as making sure each patient is getting the attention they need.

Special Education Specialist:(May require a teaching certificate)Working at a public or private school, these educators see to the needs of those with communications disorders, helping them learn how to communicate to their other teachers and peers. These instructors are often the only way students with communication disorders can communicate or learn in a traditional school environment.

Private Practitioner in audiology and pathology:(Master's degree)Working out of their own offices or homes, these professionals act as therapists, consultants, or clinicians to a small community of individuals. These practitioners often treat the members of their communities throughout their entire lives, from birth until adulthood.

Speech Therapist:(Master's degree in pathology)Therapists that aid those with speech disorders in gaining the coordination or strengthening the muscles needed to properly pronounce sounds and words. Speech therapists use a variety of speech exercises to, for example, get rid of a stutter or a lisp.

Children's Hearing Specialist:(Master's degree in audiology) The communication disorder equivalent of a pediatrician, these specialists focus on the disorders most commonly found in children. They also provide advice on the prevention of communication disorders.

Page last updated: December 14, 2020