Biology Department Honors Program Application
The Biology Honors Program is open to all Biology students. We actively support diversity and inclusion throughout our curriculum, and encourage all qualified students to apply.
Requirements of the Honors Program
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- Maintain a GPA of 3.0 or above in Biology classes
- Act in accordance with the RIC Student Conduct Code
- Complete a minimum of 4 and maximum of 6 Independent Study credits (Biol49X)*
- To complete an approved Honors Research Thesis:
- Draft, revise and complete a thesis with your research supervisor
- Submit the final version to the Biology Honors Committee prior to the indicated deadline during your final semester before graduation.
- Present your research at the Honors Symposium
Application Instructions for the Honors Program
The Honors application is submitted only once to the Honors Committee. You will write a short document (1-2 pages total) which contains the following information:
- Your full name
- Total number of college credits completed
- A list of Biology classes taken (either at RIC or elsewhere)
- A Research Statement (1-1½ pages) that clearly addresses:
- 1. Why are you interested in doing research in Biology in general?
- 2. What subject area(s) interest you, and why?
- 3. Identify faculty who conduct research in the area(s) that interest you most, and explain briefly how their research fits within your area of interest.
- 4. What are your current career plans/goals? Note that we recognize that your career plans may change, or you may be unsure about your future plans.
Submit this document electronically to the Biology Honors Committee Chair(s) [currently Dr. Britt (email@example.com), Dr. Hewins (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr. Stilwell (email@example.com).
*To register for independent study credits (Biol 49X), you must submit proposals and forms EACH SEMESTER you wish to perform research for credit. These forms are available online and must be submitted to your research advisor. Contents of Independent Study form include:
- Identification information (Name, RIC ID#)
- Number of research credits you wish to take (1-4 credits)
- A short research proposal
- Your faculty mentor will write a short paragraph regarding how you will be evaluated for grading purposes
- Due dates for Independent Study forms are November 15th and April 15th for the following semesters