Skip Repetitive Navigation Links

Admissions FAQ

Does RIC accept the Common Application?

Rhode Island College is exclusively using The Common Application and no longer has an application separate from this.

Where do I send my application materials?

All application materials should be sent to Rhode Island College. Our mailing address is:
Rhode Island College
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
The Forman Center
600 Mount Pleasant Avenue
Providence, RI 02908-1996

Do I have to complete my application online?

The Common Application, along with all required forms, is submitted online at

Are recommendation letters and an essay required?

Yes. We require a counselor recommendation (Secondary School Report) from all freshman applicants. The Common Application essay will serve as your application essay, and is required of freshman and transfer applicants.

What happens to my application once the college receives it?

Once your completed Common Application is received, you will be sent an acknowledgement letter, which will let you know if we require any additional materials. All required materials must be received before a decision can be made. Decisions are made on a rolling basis. You will be notified by mail as soon as possible. Please note that we cannot release admissions decisions over the phone.

What do you look at when evaluating an application?

Each applicant receives careful consideration, including an individual review of your application, essay, high school record, GPA/rank in class, school counselor recommendation, SAT/ACT scores, and activities in and out of school. By submitting your Common Application, you affirm that the information you have provided is both complete and accurate.   We believe that your high school record (including level and types of courses taken and rank in class) gives us the best indication of your potential for success at Rhode Island College. Students must send an official copy of their high school transcript, including first quarter senior grades. For others, we may request mid-year grades before making a decision. The majority of students we accept are in the top half of their graduating class.

Are there specific course requirements for admission?

We expect students to have completed a full college preparatory program of at least 18 required units (courses) including the following: 4 units of English, 3 units of mathematics (Algebra I, II, and Geometry), 2 units of laboratory science, 2 units of the same foreign language, 2 units of history or social science, 5 additional academic units from the arts, mathematics, language, social sciences, science.

How important are SAT/ACT scores? What is your cut-off score?

While SAT (or ACT w/ Writing) scores are required, they are not the first consideration. If a student has completed the required 18 college preparatory units and ranks in the top half of his or her class, less emphasis is put on standardized test scores. If a student is slightly below the top half of their class, we assign greater weight to the SAT/ACT.

Are interviews required?

For traditional freshman applicants, interviews are not required. Students are welcome to request an interview to discuss their application. We may invite you for an interview if we have questions about your application. Interviews are required for nontraditional programs such as Performance Based Admission (PBA) and may be required for the Preparatory Enrollment Program (PEP).

How are honors applicants reviewed?

Students wishing to be considered for the College's Honors program should rank in the top 20% of their class and have minimum combined SAT scores of 1200 (critical reading & mathematics). If you meet the Honors Program criteria, the admissions counselor will forward a copy of your credentials to the College Honors Committee for review. The Committee is made up of faculty and a liaison from the Admissions Office. Particular importance is given to the rigor of the high school program (including any Honors level or AP courses taken) and the student's SAT scores. Some merit scholarships are available for outstanding students.

I have received my acceptance letter... Now what?

Students accepted for the fall have until June 1 to pay their $200 enrollment deposit. If you are interested in living in one of our residence halls, you should also pay your housing deposit online. Once you enrollment deposit is paid, you will receive a RIC email address, to which you will receive additional information regarding campus sure to check your RIC email. You will also be contacted by OASIS regarding orientation and registration.

Will I get housing?

On campus housing is guaranteed for new freshman admitted and enrolled by May 1 and whose housing deposit is paid by June 15. New out of state freshmen (non-MTP) who meet deadline requirements are guaranteed housing for all years registered as a full-time student at the College. The acceptance letter provides additional details for meeting deadlines. Six residence halls accommodate approximately 1200 men and women in single, double and triple rooms. Three​ halls are designated for freshmen. The Office of Residential Life & Housing also maintains a list of links for those students seeking off-campus housing. Visit Residential Life and Housing at for more information.

Can freshmen have cars on campus?

Yes. There are no restrictions for cars. The campus is only 10 minutes from downtown Providence and about 25 minutes from the airport.

I will be applying for financial aid. What do I need to do?

To apply for any need-based financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Outside Link (Federal School Code: 003407). If you wish to be considered for need-based Rhode Island College grants and scholarships, you must also complete the Rhode Island College Financial Aid Application. Deadline for Financial Aid form submission is March 1 for freshmen, May 1 for transfers. Visit for more information.

I've taken some college courses/AP/CLEP tests; will I receive credit for them?

Students who have taken college courses should submit their college transcripts to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Credit will be awarded based on Rhode Island College's current transfer credit policy. Be sure to send an official copy of any AP or CLEP exam to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Current equivalencies for AP and CLEP exams are listed on the RI state transfer website at Outside Link .

When is the best time to visit campus?

Rhode Island College is a great place to visit in any season and we encourage all prospective students and families to visit our campus. We offer campus tours on weekdays and information sessions on Fridays and some Saturdays, as well as our annual Open House in the fall. Reservations for tours and information sessions may be made online at

I just want to take one class...Do I have to apply for admission?

No. Some students begin taking a class or two as a non-degree student, maybe just to try out a class, or if they are too late to apply for regular admission. Non degree students pay per credit tuition and fees.

This simply means the student is not yet in a degree program. Credits earned are the same as if taken as a degree student. However, priority registration goes to current and new RIC degree students. Non-degree students are generally not eligible for financial aid (except in a limited number of certificate programs).

To register as a non-degree student, you may simply create an account through our online course registration system and register during your assigned appointment time. For more information, contact the Records Office at (401) 456-8213.

Need More Information? Contact Us!

Page last updated: October 27, 2020